Monday, January 20, 2014

New small works

Yesterday was my first official day working in the new studio and to say I was excited was an understatement. I got up at 4am (yes 4am - what is wrong with me) and was so full of plans for the day that I got to the studio super early and threw myself into work.

Since I have known about the new studio I have been holding off finishing pieces because I didn't want any delicate work to be damaged in the move. So over the past month or so I have been sewing but not dissolving so I could store the work safely. I have never been very good at sitting on pieces, I always want to dissolve and mount them as soon as I finish them to see how they turn out. So to be able to finish seven little treasures in one day, pieces that have been patiently packed away for over a month, was quite a delight.

Small embroidered work before framing
These little pieces are a part of my very popular range of smaller works. I can't keep enough of these little babies in stock and they sell out at most exhibitions. I often make these pieces in between my larger works, it's nice to be able to finish a piece in a few days … especially when compared to the weeks or months that the larger works can take.

After dissolving, these little pieces were carefully mounted onto boards using a unique mounting technique that I have developed. This technique makes the embroidery appear to 'float in space' and allows the work to cast spectacular shadows in the right light. 

Small Ginko Circle, embroidery thread, pins and glass rods on paper, 40 x 40cm (framed)
The Ginko's are one of my favourite things to sew. These delicate little leaves are so vibrant in colour and have such a unique shape that I have always been drawn to them. So naturally I wanted to try to recreate them in thread.

Small Nautilus, embroidery thread and pins on paper, 40 x 40cm (framed)
I have several old nautilus shells in my collection and they are probably my most treasured natural oddity. While my interpretation of the nautilus shell's patterns is not strictly accurate I feel that it captures the essence of the shell's form and colour. This piece is mounted in a way that each strip of embroidery is curved, replicating the natural form of a nautilus shell.

Small Lace Coral, embroidery thread, pins and glass rods on paper, 40 x 40cm (framed) 
With most of my embroideries the thread is stitched very densely so that it will hold it's form. By doing this I know how a piece will look once it's dissolved and I can ensure I will get a quality outcome. With the lace coral piece I broke my own rules a bit and stitched with only single thickness threads for most of the piece. As a result I got a very delicate piece that (luckily) is so light that it holds it's own form beautifully.

Leaf colour study #1,  embroidery thread, pins and glass rods on paper, 40 x 40cm (framed)
 Leaf colour study #2, embroidery thread, pins and glass rods on paper, 40 x 40cm (framed) 
Leaf colour study #3,  embroidery thread, pins and glass rods on paper, 40 x 40cm (framed)
These three leaf circles started out as colour studies for a new large piece I am developing, but they worked out so nicely that they have become little artworks of their own. I have always loved the rich colours of autumn leaves and I don't know why it has taken me so long to apply these vibrant oranges and my embroidered leaves.

Small star coral,  embroidery thread, pins and glass rods on paper, 40 x 40cm (framed) 
This piece is based on the star coral's that I often see when I dive, each circle representing the polyps in the coral. While this piece is notoriously difficult to photograph clearly it is a lovely subtle play of white on white. In the right light it casts great shadows and it draws you in for a closer look, much like real coral… 

Each of these little pieces sell for $450 each (framed). If you are interested in any of my small works (or any of my other work for that matter) please feel free to give me a call or bounce me an email. 

As always thanks for your support

Meredith

0401 443 635
mail@meredithwoolnough.com.au





1 comment: