Thursday, January 1, 2015

Taste of Textiles

'Red Cabbage' by Meredith Woolnough, embroidery thread and pins on paper, 94 x 94cm
Anyone who knows me personally knows that I love good food. If you want to get on my good side just send some home cooked goodness my way and I will be your friend for life.  So when Anne Kempton (director of Timeless Textiles gallery) asked me to be a part of an art exhibition that combined food and textile art I naturally jumped at the chance.

For this unique exhibitions 20 textile artists from around the world were each asked to create an artwork that was inspired by a fresh produce food (fruit, vegetable, spice etc.) Each chosen produce would then be used as the hero ingredient in a recipe that was developed by the extraordinary local cook Bev Whitehead. From this collection of food inspired art and art inspired recipes a lovely exhibition was developed.

For my contribution to the exhibition I chose red cabbage because I have always loved the fractal like patterns that are revealed when the cabbage is cut in half.

'Red Cabbage' (detail) by Meredith Woolnough
As a part of the exhibition a delightful limited edition box set was developed that is part art book and part recipe book. This cute little tin box contains a lovely set of cards with beautiful images of that artworks in the exhibition as well as the corresponding recipe that was inspired by the artwork.




You can get your hands on your own beautiful box set of recipe cards here (while stocks last - remember it's a limited edition set so you will have to be quick).


1 comment:

  1. Hello from Poland :)
    Love your art but as a textile_cuisine love this piece even more. Is this exhibition available anywhere on the web?
    Best,
    Bozena

    ReplyDelete